The Transportation Club of Seattle has been actively involved in the Pacific Northwest’s transportation industry since 1910, working to develop this vital and exciting industry that has been a key factor in the region’s growth and success.
Our Scholarship program has been developed to encourage interest in the transportation industry with the goal of developing the next generation of transportation professionals. Successful applicants will possess strong academic skills and an interest in developing knowledge and skills related to transportation industry.
We encourage you to look further into this ancient yet ever evolving industry by taking the opportunity to visit with us and apply for our Club’s Scholarship Program.
I look forward to congratulating each scholarship recipient in person at our annual scholarship awards luncheon.
Transportation Club of Seattle
THE TCS SCHOLARSHIP
Our Scholarship program has been developed to encourage members of our club and their family members to better their lives through higher education. Successful applicants will possess strong academic skills and be successfully enrolled in a program of study that will lead to an associate degree or higher, or a certificated program. One or more scholarships of at least $500 each will be awarded.
WHO MAKES THE DECISIONS?
The Transportation Club of Seattle Scholarship Program is administered by a three-member panel, consisting of existing board members and active or retired club members, with oversight by the Club President. Board members on this committee can act as sponsors for any applicants however in such an instance, the committee member would abstain from evaluating that application. The board determines the number and amount of the scholarships given out.
Scholarships will be awarded on scholastic merit, ability, and character, without regard to race, sex, color, creed or intended or actual field of study. The awards are to be used by students who, through their efforts, achievements, community service and character, have demonstrated their ability to benefit themselves and others, through continuing education.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
To be eligible for a scholarship you must meet ALL the following general requirements:
· Must be a TCS member or relative by blood or marriage of a current TCS member with at least 1 year of good standing membership or be a current Transportation Club of Seattle Mentee. Qualifying membership/mentorship must be for the year prior to the current award season.
· Must be sponsored by a current member (member applicants can act as their own sponsor)
· Must be enrolled or plan on enrolling in an accredited college or university by the following Fall term.
· Minimum GPA of 2.5 or comparable evaluation (i.e., Pass/Fail college)
· Current school transcript through Fall term. An official student copy is acceptable.
· Must have 2 letters of recommendation.
· Letters of recommendation must be from a current teacher/professor, school administrator, or manager; and they must be written within the twelve months leading up to the application deadline.
· Completed application including the essay.
· Must submit the following items with all required information in a PDF format via email.
1. Completed application
2. Letters of recommendation
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
· Each award is for one year; students must re-apply for consideration the following year. No applicant may receive more than four total scholarship awards while part of a certificate, associate, or undergraduate program and 3 awards while part of a graduate or advanced degree program.
· Successful applicants will be asked to supply a picture of themselves for publication in our newsletter and website.
· Successful candidates will also be asked to attend our June Scholarship Luncheon in Seattle where we will formally recognize the scholarship recipients.
· Scholarship monies are paid
directly to registrar of recipients’ actual college or university. In the event of non-enrollment in the Fall term, monies will be returned to the Club for use at the board’s discretion.
· Applications are due no later than April 30, 2024.